[Outreachy announcement] Apply for Outreachy May to Aug 2021 internships

Sage Sharp - Outreachy Organizer applicant-help at outreachy.org
Mon Feb 1 16:05:11 UTC 2021

Applications are now open for the Outreachy May to August 2021 internships! Please share our announcement blog post widely:

https://www.outreachy.org/blog/2021-02-01/may-2021-initial-applications-open/

Please read our applicant guide. It's important to read the essay tips section before applying.

https://www.outreachy.org/docs/applicant/

Promotional materials like posters can be found here: https://www.outreachy.org/promote/

Important dates
---

Initial applications are due on February 22, 2021 at 4pm UTC. Applications are reviewed on a first-come-first-served basis. Please submit your initial application early!

Please join us for a chat on Twitter on February 8, at 4pm UTC. The #OutreachyChat will feature mentors, current interns, and past interns. Come bring your questions about applying to Outreachy! More details here:

https://www.outreachy.org/blog/2021-02-01/may-2021-initial-applications-open/#twitter-chat

What is Outreachy?
---

Outreachy provides internships to work on open source. Internships are available twice a year, from May to August and December to March. Outreachy internships are three months long. Interns are paid a stipend of $6,000 USD total.

Outreachy internships are open to applicants around the world. Interns work remotely, and are not required to move.

Interns work with mentors from open source communities. Outreachy internship projects may include programming, user experience, documentation, illustration, graphical design, data science, project marketing, user advocacy, or community event planning.

Please check the eligibility criteria to determine if you're eligible for an Outreachy internship:

https://www.outreachy.org/apply/eligibility/

Outreachy supports diversity in tech
---

Outreachy's goal is to increase diversity in open source. Anyone who faces under-representation, systematic bias, or discrimination in the technology industry of their country is invited to apply.

We expressly invite women (both cis and trans), trans men, non-binary people, and genderqueer people to apply.

We also expressly invite applications from residents and nationals of the United States of any gender who are Black/African American, Hispanic/Latin@, Native American/American Indian, Alaska Native, Native Hawaiian, or Pacific Islander.

Past Outreachy interns are:

 - 92% women
 - 4% transgender, genderqueer, or non-binary people
 - 64% people of color
 - 12% people from a historically disadvantaged caste or tribe

Deadlines
---

The timeline for this round is:

Feb. 1, 2021 at 4pm UTC	- Initial applications open
Feb. 8, 2021, 4 p.m. UTC - #OutreachyChat on Twitter
Feb. 22, 2021 at 4pm UTC - Initial application deadline
March 14, 2021 - Project list finalized
March 15, 2021 to April 16, 2021 - Applicants contribute to projects
April 16, 2021 at 4pm UTC - Final application deadline
May 17, 2021 at 4pm UTC - Accepted interns announced
May 24, 2021 to Aug. 24, 2021 - Internships period

Application Process
---

We encourage all applicants to read our Outreachy Application Guide. It has tips for how to get your initial application accepted and get a better chance at being selected as an intern:

https://www.outreachy.org/docs/applicant/

Please contact applicant-help at outreachy.org with any questions you have.

Good luck applying!

Sage Sharp, Outreachy Organizer