[Outreachy announcement] Call for Outreachy mentors

Sage Sharp - Outreachy Organizer organizers at outreachy.org
Tue Jan 7 01:39:44 UTC 2020

Outreachy is looking for open source communities to provide mentors for
our internship program. Community members should sign up to participate
by February 18.

If you know of open source communities who could provide mentors and
funding for at least one intern ($6,500 USD), please forward this email
to them.

Applicants - I know you're curious about the schedule for the May to
August internships. The TLDR; is that initial applications will open on
Jan 20, and are due by Feb 25. Here's the schedule for this round:

https://www.outreachy.org/apply/project-selection/

About Outreachy
---

https://www.outreachy.org/

Outreachy is an internship program. Our goal is to support diversity in
free software. Our internship is three months long. Interns are paid
with a $5,500 USD stipend and $500 stipend to travel to an open source
conference.

Outreachy interns are completely remote. Outreachy expressly invites
applicants who are women (both cis and trans), trans men, and
genderqueer people to apply. We also expressly invite applications who
are residents and nationals of the United States of America of any
gender who are Black/African American, Hispanic/Latin@, Native
American/American Indian, Alaska Native, Native Hawaiian, or Pacific
Islander.

Anyone who faces systemic bias or discrimination in the technology
industry of their country is invited to apply to Outreachy.

Mentor Duties
---

Outreachy applicants and interns work with open source mentors. As a
mentor, you will define a project for the intern to work on, help
applicants learn how to contribute to your community, and provide at
least 5 hours a week of support to your intern from May 19 to Aug 18.

https://www.outreachy.org/mentor/
https://www.outreachy.org/mentor/mentor-faq/

Outreachy internship projects may include programming, user experience,
documentation, illustration, graphical design,  data science, project
marketing, user advocacy, or community event planning. Non-profits with
a variety of projects are also welcome to participate.

Community Participation
---

Outreachy requires participating communities to provide sponsorship for
at least one intern ($6,500 USD). You should also have one person who
can act as a coordinator for the community:

https://www.outreachy.org/mentor/#coordinator

Your coordinator should submit your community for participation by
February 18.

https://www.outreachy.org/communities/cfp/

Mentors will need to submit their projects by February 25. Ideally they
would be submitted by February 11, in order to promote community
projects during the Outreachy Twitter chat.

Schedule for Mentors
---

Feb 11 at 4pm UTC - #OutreachyChat on Twitter
                    to promote projects to applicants
Feb 18 - last day for communities to sign up
Feb 25 - last day for mentors to submit projects
Mar 3 - contribution period opens
Apr 7 - contribution period closes
Apr 27 - interns announced
May 19 to Aug 18 - internship

Contacting Outreachy
---

Coordinators and mentors - please contact Outreachy organizers with any
questions about the program:

https://www.outreachy.org/contact/mentors/

Applicants - please contact the Outreachy applicant helpers:

https://www.outreachy.org/contact/applicant-help/

Sage Sharp
Outreachy Organizer