[Outreachy] [Due Feb 10] Call for Outreachy mentors for May 2023 internships
Sage Sharp - Outreachy Organizer
organizers at outreachy.org
Wed Jan 11 15:16:21 UTC 2023
Outreachy applicants - please disregard this email. We will be sending out an announcement for the May 2023 internship cohort shortly.
Potential mentors and mentoring organization coordinators - please read on!
Call for mentoring organizations
Outreachy is seeking open source and open science communities to mentor interns!
Open source and open science communities will need to secure funding for at least one Outreachy intern ($8,000 USD). See the "Intern funding" section below for funding opportunities for open science and humanitarian open source communities.
Outreachy is hosting a live streamed chat with past Outreachy mentors. If you know someone interested in mentoring, please encourage them to attend! See the "Mentor Chats" section below for details.
- Jan. 17 at 3pm UTC - Mentor chat on YouTube and PeerTube
- Feb. 6 at 3pm UTC - Mentor chat on YouTube and PeerTube
- Feb. 10 at 4pm UTC - Deadline for open source and open science communities to sign up to be an Outreachy mentoring organization
- Feb. 24 at 4pm UTC - Deadline for mentors to submit project descriptions for May 2023 interns to work on
What is Outreachy?
Outreachy is a paid, remote internship program. Outreachy promotes diversity in open source and open science. Our internships are for people who face under-representation, and discrimination or systemic bias in the technology industry of their country.
Open source and open science communities can apply to be an Outreachy mentoring organization here:
Please see our blog post for additional details:
Jan. 17, 2023 at 3pm UTC - Mentor chat on YouTube and PeerTube
Feb. 6, 2023 at 3pm UTC - Mentor chat on YouTube and PeerTube
Feb. 10, 2023 - last day for mentoring organizations to sign up
Feb. 24, 2023 - last day for mentors to submit projects
Mar. 6, 2023 at 4pm UTC - contribution period opens
Apr. 3, 2023 at 4pm UTC - contribution period closes
May 4, 2023 - interns announced
May 29, 2023 to Aug. 25, 2023 - internship
Outreachy welcomes first-time mentoring organizations! Each internship cohort, Outreachy helps around 5-10 open source and open science communities prepare to mentor Outreachy interns for the first time.
We know participating in a new program can be intimidating, so we're hosting live streamed chats with past mentors.
These mentor chats will help new mentors understand what working with Outreachy interns is like. Come for inspiration, and leave with tips and advice from experienced Outreachy mentors!
We will host two mentor chats:
- Jan. 17, 2023 at 3pm UTC - Mentor chat on YouTube and PeerTube
- Feb. 6, 2023 at 3pm UTC - Mentor chat on YouTube and PeerTube
The mentor chats will take place at the same time on both YouTube and PeerTube:
Please subscribe for live streaming notifications!
Each open source and open science mentoring organization will need to secure funding for at least one intern ($8,000 USD).
All mentoring organizations must find finding for at least one intern ($8,000 USD):
- Humanitarian open source communities can apply for funding from Outreachy
- Open science communities can apply for funding from Outreachy
- Other open source communities need to find their own funding. Communities might use their own community funds, or find a company to sponsor an intern.
Outreachy organizers cannot allow open source and open science communities to participate unless they have funding.
Once a mentoring organization has secured funding for at least one intern, Outreachy can provide additional intern funding.
Read more about internship funding in our Community Guide:
Internship funding for humanitarian open source communities
Outreachy is seeking humanitarian open source communities to participate as mentoring organizations.
Outreachy will fully fund at least 1 intern for accepted humanitarian open source communities. Humanitarian open source communities will not need to find additional sponsorship to participate.
Internship funding for open science communities
Outreachy is pleased to receive a grant from Chan Zuckerberg Initiative to support open science interns.
Outreachy welcomes open science communities who focus on any of the following areas:
- reproducible research
- open access
- open data sets
- open data science
- open collaboration
- citizen science
- using or creating open source software
Outreachy will fully fund at least 1 intern for open science communities. Open science communities will not need to find additional sponsorship to participate.
You can read more about Outreachy's partnerships with grant makers like Chan Zuckerberg Initiative here:
Connect with us!
Outreachy is active on several platforms:
- Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/outreachy
- Mastodon: https://hachyderm.io/@outreachy
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/outreachy
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@outreachyinternships
- PeerTube: https://diode.zone/a/outreachy/video-channels
- RSS: https://www.outreachy.org/blog/feed/
Sign up for important emails:
- Announcement mailing list: https://lists.outreachy.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/announce
If you have any questions about mentoring, please email <organizers at outreachy.org>
If you know of potential Outreachy applicants with questions, please tell them to email <applicant-help at outreachy.org>
Sage Sharp, Outreachy Organizer
More information about the Announce